Carmelitemissionaries

St. Francis Xavier Province, India

Sunday, June 24

BIRTHDAY OF ST.JOHN THE BAPTIST



John the Baptist considered being the greatest of all the prophets.  Why is it so, that he is considered to be the greatest of all the prophets? Is it because that he was born in an extraordinary way? Or is it because he is the last of all the OT prophets? Or is it because he is the cousin of Jesus? Or because he lived more austere life than any other prophets?

Where does his greatness lie?

  The greatness of the person lies in humbling oneself.


“I baptize you with water for repentance, but one who is more powerful than I am coming after me; I am not worthy to carry his sandals….”  (Mt. 3:11)

“He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted the hungry with good things”         (Lk.1:52)


Ø  The greatness of the person lies in becoming like the little ones without any malice in the heart.

“Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven” (Mt.18:3)

“I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”  (Mt.3:14)




Ø  The greatness of the person lies in accepting oneself as one is.


" I am not the one you are looking  for....." (John the Baptist)



        “True humility is to walk on the path of truth” (St.Theresa of Avila)



Ø  The greatness of the person lies in fulfilling the purpose of one’s existence.


" For this is he that was spoken by the prophet.....The voice of the one crying in the wilderness...." (Mt.3:3)

“ The Lord has granted me in the Cathedral of this place what I have been supplicating for 14 years with many tears, great insistence and outcry of my spirit; that was, to know my mission.” (Lr.57:2)





PRAYER:
LORD GRANT US THE GRACE TO ACCEPT OURSELVES AS WE ARE. THAT WE MAY  LEARN TO APPRECIATE OURSELVES AND SEE THE GOODNESS IN US, SO THAT WE MAY BE ABLE TO SEE THE GOODNESS IN OTHERS AND LEARN TO APPRECIATE THEM. IN THIS WAY WE MAY BE ABLE TO LIVE AND BUILD UP COMMUNION WHEREVER WE ARE. LIKE JOHN THE BAPTIST WE MAY TOO FULFILL THE PURPOSE FOR WHICH YOU HAVE CREATED US. WE MAKE THIS PRAYER THROUGH CHRIST OUR LORD.
AMEN.


No comments:

Post a Comment